Egg-less Amazing Dinner Rolls

I am glad to be a member of the Eggless Baking Challenge from this month onwards. The main reason why I took it was to widen my horizon and use my head a little bit when adjusting to eggless is to be done. I always look for eggless recipes mainly because they are quite easy to put together.

This month's Baking Eggless Challenge is hosted by Priya of Enveetu Kitchen and her suggestion was dinner rolls. The recipe had just one egg for double the quantity I used, so the only little variation I did was to slightly increase the butter and whisk all the wet ingredients before adding the flour. The rolls were absolutely soft, to say the least. My younger one enjoyed it the most - she had two in a stretch and the next day, had the next two! :) Overall, I enjoyed the experience of making my hands dirty, as  I was really scared about how it would turn out to be.

Amazing Dinner Rolls - Egg-less
Serves 3


Ingredients:

30 ml warm water
1-1/4 tsp active dry yeast
4 tbsp sugar
150 ml warmed milk
120 gm butter, melted
3/4 tsp salt
2-1/2 cups all purpose flour*

Method:

Mix the yeast along with the warm water and 1/4 tsp sugar and allow it to froth. It took me around 10 minutes.

In a large bowl, mix in the milk, butter, salt and the remaining sugar till well combined. I used a whisk. Now add in the yeast mixture and mix again. Add the flour slowly in three batches. I added 3/4 cup of flour and mixed till now lumps. Then add the next 3/4 cup and mix till it slowly becomes doughy. Add the remaining slowly and keep kneading the dough till you get a sticky dough.

Soft...
Keep it covered for an hour and a half till it doubles in size. Knock down the air in the dough and knead again. Divide the dough into two equal parts. Roll it on a lightly floured surface in a round shape, around 1/2 inch thickness. Cut it into 8 pieces  just like how you cut a pizza. Roll each wedge up, beginning from the wide side. Transfer the rolls to a buttered cookie sheet. Loosely cover the rolls with a cling film and let it rise for another hour.

During the last ten minutes, preheat the oven to 170 degrees. Remove the cling film and bake the rolls in the oven for around 18 minutes till golden brown. Remove from the oven and serve warm.

I served this with the chicken mushroom stir fry and it was delicious!!!

* You may not need all this flour, as the stickiness depends upon the quality of the flour being used. I used the amount mentioned, but you may end up using just 2 cups.

Labels: , , , ,