Microwave Meals ~ Simple Chicken Curry with Plain Rice

A couple of weeks back, I had put a status up on the blog's FB page as to how many of you would be interested in having a look at some microwave recipes. As you know, till now, I was struggling with my kitchen, which Alhamdulillah, is slowly coming to normal. Till then, majority of our meals were hotel food, with very little that I cooked at home. The only major thing I used to make was cakes! Hehe... It took me a lot of thought to start cooking in the microwave. Yes, I know, there are some health hazards due to the quick cooking happening in the microwave, there are a lot of articles related to it all over the net and otherwise. However, I feel it is a blessing when you get fed up of having food from outside every time! I haven't cooked much meals in the microwave, but whatever I have tried, we have enjoyed it. I will keep posting it on the blog as and when my drafts get regularized.

As for now, I am sharing the first meal I cooked in the microwave. It was a lonely Friday afternoon - both the men of the house, HD and B were enjoying their short stays back home. I was not in a mood to order a take away. I checked up with a lot of my blogger friends for ideas and finally thought of making plain rice and chicken curry. My first attempt had to be non-veg, then only I would have empty vessels to wash! Hehe... I must say that I was mighty pleased with the whole meal. The kids enjoyed it, in fact Rasha was surprised that I cooked it. "How did you make it, ummi?" "In the microwave!" The expression said it all. Off to the way I made it...

Simple Chicken Curry with Plain Rice
Serves 2
Recipe adapted from here




Ingredients:

250 gm chicken thighs, cut into medium pieces
1 tbsp oil
1 large onion, sliced
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1 heaped tsp coriander powder
1/4 tsp fennel powder
1/4 tsp cumin powder
1/4 tsp garam masala powder
Salt to taste


Method:

In a microwave bowl, add oil and onion. Microwave for 3 minutes. Add in the tomatoes and spice powders except the garam masala powder and microwave for 5 minutes. Mix well.

Now add the chicken along with salt and 1/2 cup water. Microwave on closed lid for 15 minutes. You will find the curry to be dry.

Take out the bowl, sprinkle the garam masala, add another 1/2 cup of water. Microwave for another 3 minutes without lid. Rest for 5 minutes. Serve warm with plain rice!


For Plain Rice:

Wash the measured basmati rice well. I used one cup. Soak rice for 30 minutes. Put the rice and double the water - 2 cups (normal temperature) in a large microwave bowl and microwave for 12 minutes. Leave untouched for 5 minutes. Fluff up with fork and serve!!!

What relief to have home food after long... :)


Labels: , , ,