Eggless Cardamom Cake

I am so glad to inform you that my Chicken Bengal Gram Patties recipe is a part of the Indus Ladies Kid's Lunch Box idea booklet. What's more - it's totally free and will relieve you of the stress of deciding what to pack in your kid's boxes on a daily basis! This is a dilemma I undergo everyday, so it means that I can also be at ease. A lot of my fellow bloggers' recipes are also featured, so what are you waiting for? Do go ahead and download a copy for yourself now!


Remember the cake I mentioned in the Horlicks brownies post? This is the one...

One of the easiest cake I have ever made! The recipe is so versatile that you can play around with the flavors. I have done this in cardamom flavor, but you could make a marble cake out of it, sprinkle in some chocochips, maybe add some orange or lemon zest, the possibility is endless. Umma always keeps telling me not to make chocolate cakes when I am taking them for people outside and she was proved right with this one, as this cake vanished faster than the brownies among the elders. Kids always prefer chocolate over any other cake, right? This is one cake I have baked several times and one of the cakes that the kids have loved - surprisingly, which is not a chocolate cake! Off to the recipe...

Eggless Cardamom Cake
Makes an 8 inch cake
Recipe adapted from here


Ingredients:

1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup wholewheat flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 cup yogurt, beaten
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup oil
A pinch of salt
1 tsp cardamom powder

Method:

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Grease and flour an 8 inch pan, set aside.

Mix the flours in a pan and sat aside. In another bowl, beat the yogurt and sugar with a whisk till dissolved. Add the baking powder and soda and leave aside for 5 minutes. The mixture will start to froth. Add the oil and whisk till combined. Add the flours, salt and cardamom powder and mix well to form a thick batter without any lumps.

Transfer to the greased pan and flatten the top with a spatula. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes till done and the skewer comes out clean. Leave the cake in the pan for 5 minutes. You will see the cake leave the sides of the pan. Slowly flip on to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.

Slice and serve as a snack, along with tea or coffee!

Notes:

Don't keep the batter out for too long! Since I preheat my oven for 20 minutes, I start making the batter when there is 10 minutes remaining on the timer. This way, the batter is just in time for baking. Leaving it out for too long causes a lot of reaction by the baking powder and soda and can harden the cake!


Somebody was just so impatient when the cake was cooling and when I was clicking... that she just wanted to take a slice and bite into it... and of course, so happy to pose for me... :)

Labels: , ,