Dates Ice-cream

I would love to know from all of you, my lovely readers - if you have kids at home, what is that one thing that they constantly request for? I mean in terms of food and nothing else... :) There are two things my kids ask - chocolate cake and ice-cream. They don't ask for anything else. Though I wouldn't mind making them some chocolate cake on and off, so that I also get to enjoy them (hehe...), I steer away from making ice-cream regularly. The main reason is that being school going kids, there is hardly a day when they are without running nose or cough. Once school starts, it is like their constant partner. No amount of medicines work. Therefore, I rely on steam and menthol oils to relieve them of any heaviness. When school is on, they kind of get used to having a clogged nose that when they have their vacations, an open nose is a big surprise for them! Hehe...

All ice-creams that I have already put on the blog are all without an ice-cream maker. I have bought one recently but it is still in its pack and I have no idea when I am going to open it up and start using it! This was one ice-cream that I totally loved - hardly any work and really soft serve that it looked like store bought ice-cream. I had a tough time convincing HD that it was indeed me who had made it. See, there is no point in saying that I am a food blogger, there are times when our family members would still give us such little attacks, especially when food turn out to be much better than expected! :)

Dates Ice-cream
Serves 4


Ingredients:

150 ml water
18 dates, pitted
1 sachet non-diary whipping powder 
OR
250 ml whipping cream
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
100 ml condensed milk

Method:

Cook the dates in water for 15 minutes. Cool completely. Grind into a paste.

Prepare the non-diary pack as per instructions OR whip the diary cream with sugar and vanilla extract till stiff. Add in the condensed milk and dates paste. Fold gently till well mixed.

Pour into a tub and freeze overnight till set. Scoop out and enjoy!


Labels: ,