Aatta ka Sheera/ Wholewheat Halwa

My sweet tooth forces me to keep discovering different ways of making new desserts. Not that desserts have to be unhealthy all the time, right? This one is a perfect example!

I guess this is one of the easiest and healthiest North Indian sweet dish that I have ever made or come across! I gather from reading all over the net that this dish is basically from Gujarat and is prepared during special Hindu festivals. I also find that all the recipes have different levels of the ingredients added, though the ingredients are the same. So it is upto you to adjust your ghee and sugar proportion to the wholewheat or the aatta used. However, the goodness lies in roasting the aatta in ghee. If it is not roasted well, then you will feel like you are eating raw flour! I never knew in my life that roasted aatta had such a lovely aroma when done. While roasting, all you need to wait is for the ghee to separate and the aatta getting lighter, to know that you can add the remaining ingredients. No, no... nothing complicated, you will definitely know when it is getting done! Off to the way I made it...

Aatta ka Sheera/ Wholewheat Halwa
Serves 3


Ingredients:

1/4 cup ghee
1 cup aatta (wholewheat flour)
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp cardamom powder
1 cup water

Method:

Heat ghee. Roast the aatta on medium low flame till a nice aroma wafts across the kitchen. Keep stirring in between to ensure it does not stick. Add in the sugar and cook till sugar melts and incorporates into the roasted aatta. Add the water and cardamom and stir continuously till there are no lumps and the whole mixture holds together. Serve warm sprinkled with nuts.

Notes:

The consistency is thick and slightly dry. If you like your sheera a bit runny, add more water.

Linking this post to My Kitchen Odyssey's First anniversary event...



Labels: ,