Kaipola/ Plantain Egg Cake ~ My 25th guest post for With a Spin

Ramadan 10, it is today in this part of the world! So quick... days seem to be flying and I am feeling really worried if I am able to take full advantage of this month. In whichever way I can, I am trying but there is always a feeling that you could do something better... The climate here is hot, though not at its peak as of yet, which is such a relief! Temperatures in the afternoons show around 44 to 46 degrees, which is like a tad lower than the projected 48 to 50 degrees. My heart goes out to those people who complete their fasts working outside directly in the hot son. May Allah accept their fasts and make their faith strong and steadfast... Aameen....

The second guest post this Ramadan after Lubna's at the beginning of Ramadan... Lail’s With a Spin is a space that I look up to with a lot of awe. I love her pictures, her recipes, the way she blogs and everything about it. So when she pinged me with an invitation for a guest post to coincide with the holy month of Ramadan, I was really excited. I would have never said no to her request, at the same time I really didn’t know whether I would be able to do justice to her request.



I found in Lail, a very warm person who assured me that anything from my side would do. This is one thing I have witnessed about blogging – I have always found people to be very warm, friendly and approachable. How much ever successful their blog may be, it is so good to see people being humble about their growth. MaShaAllah Lail… may Allah keep you the same way every time and give your blog the leap that it deserves!

I decided to go for a simple Malabar snack called Kaipola, which is basically a thick egg snack filled with chopped and softened plantains, or otherwise also called as Kerala bananas. 



To read more and the recipe, do hop onto Lail's space. Hope all of you enjoy the post... :) 



Kaipola – Plantain Egg Cake
Serves 4
Ingredients:
3 medium plantains, chopped into small pieces
4 eggs
A pinch of cardamom
A pinch of salt
1 teaspoon ghee
4 tablespoon sugar (more for sweetness!)
8-10 cashew nuts
10-15 raisins
Steps:

  1. Beat the eggs with cardamom and salt till doubled in volume and pale in color.
  2. Heat a saucepan and melt the ghee. Fry the cashew nuts, drain. Fry the raisins till puffed, drain into the cashew nuts. Now add the plantains and sauté on low flame for five minutes. Add the sugar and cook till melted. Now pour in the beaten egg and give a gentle mix. Sprinkle the cashew nuts and raisins on top.
  3. Keep the flame on bare minimum and cook on tightly closed lid till the top is firm, ie. non-sticky when touched. Switch off and leave in the pan for a couple of minutes. Flip onto a plate. Cut and serve with a hot cup of chai!

Labels: , , ,