Simple Butter Chicken

With Ramadan inching closer, I thought it would be interesting to share this particular cartoon:


I guess this is a case with majority of the Muslim families. There was a time when we used to emphasize a lot on food for breaking the fast and suhoor, but for the past few years, Alhamdulillah, we have purposely shifted our focus from eating to the main core of Ramadan - fasting and worshiping. Maybe the coming day, I will give in a peep to how my normal Ramadan day looks like... :) 

Butter Chicken is one common dish that many of us order when we go to restaurants. I have always found that the taste differs everywhere. All my recipe cut outs and books also have different recipes for butter chicken provided. In fact, when Humi did a guest post for me, she gave her version of Butter Chicken. Below is the way umma learned to make from a Lakshmi Nair show on Asianet and I learned to make it from her. I have already jotted it in my mind to try out the other recipes of Butter Chicken that I have in my cut-outs hopefully one by one...  Till then, let me share this tried and tasted version, which is always a hit when we prepare, especially when we have guests around... :)

Simple Butter Chicken
Serves 4


Ingredients:

800 gm chicken, cut into medium pieces
1 tbsp oil
3 large onions, sliced
2 tbsp cashews, soaked in 1/4 cup hot water
2 tbsp butter
2 tsp ginger paste
2 tsp garlic paste
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 1/2 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
3/4 tsp garam masala powder
2 large tomatoes, pureed
2 tbsp fresh cream
1 tbsp kasoori methi
Salt to taste
Coriander leaves to garnish

Method:

In a wok, heat oil. Saute the sliced onions with a pinch of salt till soft. Allow to cool. Puree the cooked onion along with the soaked cashew and water till smooth.

In a saucepan, melt the butter. Add the ginger and garlic paste and saute for a couple of minutes till the raw smell is gone. Add the onion puree, turmeric, chilli powder and garam masala and cook for a couple of minutes. Add the tomato puree and cook till oil floats on the top. Stir occasionally. 

Add in the chicken and cook till the chicken is done. Add in the cream and stir well till combined. Finally sprinkle in the kasoori methi, and adjust salt. Switch off the flame. 

Serve garnished with coriander leaves with rice, rotis or even bread... just tastes awesome!

Notes:

In order to make it less rich, I sometimes skip one of them - the cashew paste or the cream. While having guest, we add both. Personally, I prefer adding the cream at the end, sometimes the cashew paste leaves bites which I don't like!

On an ending note... I don't know but if you feel this picture looks a little different from the other pictures on the blog especially on the lighting front, then your feeling is not misplaced. This is the first picture to be taken by my HD for the blog... a day when I was in a filthy mood and non of the pictures were looking good and he volunteered to take the pictures. As usual, despite me telling him not to use the flash, he went ahead to use - somehow, he loves the flash! - and that explains the glare in the picture. But he being a better photographer than me, I had to go for one of his clicks over mine and here it is! :)

Labels: , ,