French Beans Upperi/ Stir Fry

Two quotes that influenced me over the week, sharing it with all of you...

“Inner peace comes from accepting everything in your life as a divine plan, being content with what you have and having a strong connection with your creator.” 
- Dr. Haleh Banani

"When someone shows you their heart, their past, their wounds, they have entrusted you with the deepest part of themselves. It is the part of themselves that makes them uniquely beautiful. To be trusted in this way is a great honor. Guard that trust with your life."
- Yasmin Mogahed

Today, I am sharing with you another favorite side dish of mine with rice. Or do I need rice to go with it? Absolutely no!!! I would be so happy to have it as a meal in itself. In fact, whenever french beans are cooked, umma makes sure she keeps majority of it for me as she knows how much I love to have it. My plate would be filled with 3/4 of this stir fry and the remaining would be rice and curry - that is how mad I am about it. I would easily rate it as my most favorite stir fry to go with rice, till something else comes by its way. But all these years it has stayed my favorite, so I guess it will continue to stay so... :) Off to the way I make it, as taught by my umma...

French Beans Upperi/ Stir Fry
Serves 4


Ingredients:

350 gm french beans, washed and chopped
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
2 sprigs curry leaves
1 small onion, sliced
3 green chillies, slit
4 tbsp coconut (add more if you like!)
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
Water as required
Salt to taste

Method:

In a kadai, heat coconut oil. Splutter mustard seeds and fry curry leaves for a couple of seconds. Add the onion and saute till just soft. Now add in the cut beans, chillies, coconut, turmeric powder and water just enough to cover the beans, not more. Add in the salt as required. Keep the flame on high till the water boils and then continue to cook on medium-low flame till the beans is cooked and the water is all dried up.

Serve warm with rice and curry of your choice!!!

Notes:

1. The quantity of water is very important. Pour water just till the level of beans, or even less than that! You can add hot water later if the beans is not fully cooked.
2. Cook without a lid, as the steam accumulates and add more water into the beans making it soggy.
3. If the beans get cooked and there is still water in the pan, separate the beans to the sides with the water in the center and cook on high till the water evaporates. It may cause the beans to get slightly overcooked but still would taste great!

Labels: , , , ,