Kerala Style Fish Masala

One thing that really makes me feel sad is this - as we move on in life, growing older by age and wiser by thoughts (hopefully!), the importance placed on relationships seem to take a downward dip. Many may raise their voice against this observation, but maybe looking at your own actions may shed some light on it. How many of us keep in touch with our school and college friends, our ex-colleagues? We keep in touch with our parents, our siblings, our children, our close relatives as we cannot ignore them as per the societal norms. However, there are a different bunch of people who are not related by blood, but who were an integral part of your life during a particular phase, with whom as time passes, we become less and less in contact and finally, even though they do come in our thoughts occasionally, we may not be having any connection with them. Thankfully with the advent of Facebook, a lot of things have changed, however virtual connection comes nowhere close to physical connection, does it? I am a person who loves to be in touch once I have known and enjoyed somebody's company, and I strive to keep in touch as much as I can. But I guess the bug of aging is hitting me as well, and sometimes, I get the thought as to why should I only be the one who is interested! Not a good sign, I feel... But I do wish at times that the people I wish to stay connected would have the same interest levels as me...

Even though fish is always a part of our lunch plans, it rarely comes on our dinner tables. Since my lunches are in the office, I rarely eat fish so when umma is back home, I ensure I cook at least once for dinner. This was made once as side for chapathis and it was cleaned up in time. I always prefer fish in masala or roast style rather than curry and that may be one reason why I have not posted even a single fish curry till date! Hmm... time to look into that, I suppose... Meanwhile, off to this delicious fish masala, made in Kerala style... :)

Kerala Style Fish Masala
Serves 4


Ingredients:

For fish:
500 gm kingfish, cut into thick pieces and cleaned
2 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp oil
1 strand curry leaves

For masala:
1 tbsp oil
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
2 green chillies, slit
1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp garlic paste
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 tbsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp fennel powder
1/2 tsp garam masala powder
Salt to taste
Curry leaves for garnish

Method:

Make a paste out of the turmeric, red chilli powder, vinegar, salt and pepper. Add the fish and coat well. Leave it to marinate for around 15 minutes. Heat oil in a frying pan and spread it across. Sprinkle in the curry leaves. Fry the fish on both the sides till brownish and almost cooked. Switch off and leave in the pan.

In another saucepan, heat the oil for the masala. Add the onions and green chillies with a pinch of salt and cook till soft. Add the ginger and garlic paste and saute till the raw smell is gone. Add in the chopped tomatoes and cook till the tomatoes are mashed up. Add all the powder and stir till the masala becomes slightly dark - ensure not to burn! Adjust the salt. Add in a little water and cook for some more time on low flame till the masala is all cooked.

Slowly add into the frying pan with the fish and stir softly to combine well, ensuring not to break the fish. Cook on low flame for around 5 minutes on closed lid. Switch off and serve warm with chapathis, or rice...

Linking it to my ongoing event "South Indian Cooking" of Anuz Healthy Kitchen...



Labels: , , , ,