Aleesa/ Hareesa

It seriously feels good to feed your blog regularly without much tension. There was a time when I had cooked so much and clicked so much, I had worried how I would finish posting it all. Now that I am going through a dry phase as far as cooking is concerned, I am so glad that I have a treasure of drafts to fall on to keep feeding my blog. Sometimes, I hint to my HD as to when I had cooked what I am posting now, for which he passed a remark, "You know, your blog should be up-to-date!" Hmm... I guess very soon I have to take his word seriously and try to be make my posts very much closer to the time I cook and click them. But till then, let me enjoy my relaxing phase as of now... :)

I have already posted Masala Aleesa before, which is a complete meal in itself. I take out the masala and am posting the aleesa alone today. This is actually one way of making it. Due to the addition of chicken, this goes very well with any spicy curry or is awesome as it is. Towards our side, we don't make aleesa but having lived in UAE and having friends who come from the northward of Kerala, I have learned this and try to make it for dinner when I remember to soak the whole wheat!!! Hehe... A very straightforward recipe with no complications as such...

Aleesa/ Hareesa
Serves 4-5


Ingredients:

2 cups whole wheat, soaked overnight
2 cup thick coconut milk
2 cups water
2 big pcs of cinnamon
3 pcs of chicken with bone
Salt to taste

Method:

Combine all the ingredients in a pressure cooker and mix well. Pressure cook for three whistles and then leave it on low flame for around 30 minutes. Switch off and allow the pressure to go by itself.

Open the cooker, discard the cinnamon pieces. Pull out the chicken and shred the meat. Discard the bone and add the meat back into the aleesa. Once slightly cooled, using a hand blender, blend the aleesa till slightly mashed up.

Serve warm with any spicy non-vegeterian curry! For that matter, not necessarily non-vege, recently I discovered that aleesa tastes awesome with some cherupayar curry as well!!! :)

Labels: , , ,