Jeera/ Cumin Rice

I guess I will start off today's post with a small incident that happened over the past week... Azza and I were watching a movie on TV. During the ad break, I was busy staring at the necklaces displayed in a jewelry ad - you agree that they are really tempting, irrespective of whether you have the funds to buy them or no, or even if you can buy them, whether you would ever use them!!! Azza looked at my face...

Azza: Ummikk aa thain vaana? (Ummi, you want that chain?)
Me: Venallo, pakshe abba vaangitharoola (Yes, I do need it but abba wouldn't buy.) *Sad expression*
Azza: Atha vaangi tharallo... (Azza - she calls herself Atha - will buy for you!)
*Starts searching something in her pant's little pocket and pulls out a 50 fils coin, flashes it to me excitedly*
Azza: Ummikithu vechu vaangi thara, pakshe Athanteduthu chillarayullu... (I will buy for ummi with this, but Atha has only coins!) *Worried expression*

I was so overwhelmed by her show of love. I just hugged her tight and assured her that ummi is perfectly fine without that gold chain. It only goes on to reinforce how big gifts children are from the Almighty... Alhamdulillah for my two gems!!! :)

Off to today's recipe, nothing much fancy... but a rice that I love to make during my lazy Fridays, apart from the Neychoru. It just tastes awesome with any spicy non-veg curry... Looking at the way I make it...

Jeera/ Cumin Rice
Serves 4


Ingredients:

1 tbsp olive oil *
3 tsp cumin seeds
1 small onion, sliced
1 tsp ginger
2 cups basmati rice, washed and drained
800 ml hot water
Salt to taste

Method:

Heat oil in a large saucepan. Splutter the cumin seeds. Saute the onion and ginger till the raw smell is gone. Add the basmati rice and saute for 5 minutes till crisp. Add in the hot water. Adjust the salt. Allow it to boil on high flame and then reduce the flame. Allow it to cook on simmer with closed lid till done.

Serve with any vegetarian or non-veg curry...

* You can add ghee or butter or any other oil instead of olive oil, as per your wish...

Labels: , ,