Wholewheat Brownies

I am surprised that I am doing a post from home! Normally I refrain from sitting on my laptop, first of all, I suppose most of us have this issue of having snag ladded laptops or personal computers at home, that were meant to only irritate in first place! Hehe... On top of that, Azza loves to come and hit random keys off the keypad that sometimes I see very unusual characters spring up on my post! Since the kids are sleeping, I thought this is the best time to plug in a post quickly before they wake up - provided my little lappy cooperates! Hopefully, it should... :) Today is a part of a long weekend, but we are in the colds. We had a day full of rain yesterday, which ensured that we all were inside home, full on with sweaters, socks and what not! It was really cold and the only thing we wanted to do was cuddle up the sofa and sit lazily. Today is much better, but since tomorrow is a working day, we may opt to stay back at home...

Brownies are always a favorite, isn't it? Thanks to my umma, I try to control my baking to a large extend but sometimes, I just cannot help it. So when she is not around, I make sure I bake so much that I drain myself enough not to be baking anything when she is around. Smart, na? ;) This was one such bake. While browsing through my phone one night craving for brownies but not wanting to use any all-purpose flour in it, I found this recipe and immediately put myself into work. Impatiently waiting for the butter to soften a bit so that I could cut, I somehow managed to chop the butter and quickly whip up the batter and dump into the baking pan. As I licked the bowl clean of the batter (yes! the batter is too good...), the smell in the kitchen was something I couldn't bear. The brownies were really dense and fudgy, with a melt-in-the-mouth texture. 

Whole Wheat Brownies
Makes an 8 inch pan


Ingredients:

1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
110 gm butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 large eggs

Method:

Preheat the oven to 170 degrees. Grease an 8 inch brownie pan.

Mix the flour, soda and salt in a bowl. Set aside. In another bowl, melt butter on low heat. Once melted, add in the brown sugar and stir till dissolved. Switch off the flame and add in the cocoa powder. Stir to a smooth mixture without lumps. Add the flour slowly and whisk well. Now add in the eggs and beat till incorporated. Either you can use your egg beater or just whisk vigorously, as I did. The batter will be thick and glossy.

Transfer the batter to the brownie pan and bake for 25 minutes or till the skewer comes out clean. Cool in the pan, cut and gorge!!!

Notes:

You may add around 1/2 cup of chocolate chips for an extra chocolaty feel, but I didn't add. Still the brownie was amazingly chocolaty!!! I am also sure adding 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts or almonds would have taken the brownies to another level.

The brownie wouldn't rise much, it would be pretty much flat and the texture is really fudgy. I just loved the way the brownie turned out. Perfect for the binge eating and healthy - considering it's whole wheat flour and brown sugar! ;)

On a lighter side, don't you feel the same? :)


Labels: , ,