Thayir Saadam - Yogurt Rice

I am still in the hangover of my blog's first birthday, I suppose. Thinking that I have completed one year of blogging and sharing recipes and have stepped into the second year is kind of giving me jitters. Or am I nervous whether I will be able to keep up the same pace and interest? I guess it must be... At times, when I feel my interest lacking some way or the other, I pull myself up and tell to myself - "Then why did you start the blog in first place? You should've just maintained a word document!" I am cooking but hardly cooking, I must say. Maybe it's the way my days are moving, but then slowly I am finding my ground to come back to some hard core cooking. Till then, I know my drafts will help me out to float my blog, at least for the next two to three months. And yes, that does leave a smile on my face! :)

One best thing about blogging is that I am trying my hands into food that I have never had before! Just like this Thayir Saadam... I am told that it is something so frequently eaten in Tamil Nadu and I am still wondering why we do not have much easy one-pot meals as such, which makes lunch time so relaxing! I was terribly craving for this meal of rice, so referred to several blogs and came up with my medley. And what's more - I made it in Kerala style, with Palakkadan Matta rice! ;)

Thayir Saadam - Yogurt Rice
Serves 3


Ingredients:

1 cup matta rice
2.5 cup of water
A pinch of salt
1/2 cup warm milk
1 cup yogurt
1 carrot, finely chopped
1 cucumber, finely chopped
For tempering:
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
2 twigs curry leaves
1 tsp ginger paste
1 green chilli, chopped

Method:

Cook the rice, with water and salt till well cooked, so cooked that it becomes all mashed up. Mix well and mash up with a ladle. Add in the warm milk and mix well. Set aside to cool.

When cool, add in the yogurt, carrot and cucumber, and adjust the salt. Heat oil into a saucepan, splutter mustard seeds. Add in the remaining ingredients, saute for a couple of minutes. Put into the rice and mix well. 

We devoured the rice along with potato stir fry and it was delicious!

Labels: , , ,