Semiya Vegetable Pulao

Yesterday was my little munchkin Azza's third birthday. In 2011, on a rainy day, just like it was yesterday as well, she came to our world really early in the morning. She looked so serious and sturdy that the nurse in-charge immediately commented, "Hmm... ammayude makal thanne, ketto?" (She's her mom's daughter, for sure!). She was a tall and hefty looking child, when compared to Rasha who was really tiny when she was born. It all feels like yesterday, really does feel like that... Whenever I see both my children, I always feel that days seem to be flying in full speed that I am not able to enjoy each and every moment of their growth. Being a working mother has given some limitations as far as seeing all their milestones are concerned. I have tried my level best to be there whenever I can, to see their little victories and achievements. Here's wishing my little one a long, healthy, piety filled life ahead, InShaAllah. All this ummi has is a heart full of prayers for you as well as your elder sister... :')

Off to the recipe after some emotional overflow... Perfect for my lazy bones, today's recipe is an easy dinner that you can put together in no time. When I was cooking this, my B let out a surprised tone, "What are you doing with vermicelli, and that too at night? Making payasam???" "No, my dear, I am making a pulao." "A what???" *Mouth with an O shape* But once it was made and served hot on the dinner table, I saw him eating it slowly and steadily and cleaning up whatever was on his plate. "Hmm... does it taste good?" "Umm... ummm..." *Mouth full* 

Semiya Vegetable Pulao
Serves 4


Ingredients:

200 gm vermicelli
2 tbsp ghee
2 onions, sliced
2 chillies, slit
1 tomato, chopped
1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp chilli powder
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp garam masala powder
1/2 tsp chilli flakes

Method:

Cook the vermicelli in lots of water till done. Drain into a colander, rinse throughly with lots of water to avoid it from sticking to each other. Set aside. 

In a saucepan, heat ghee. Saute the onions and green chillies with a pinch of salt till soft. Add the tomatoes and cook till tomatoes are mashed up. Add in the frozen mixed vegetables, turmeric and chilli powders and cook till the vegetables are soft. Sprinkle very little water for some moisture. 

Now add the cooked vermicelli and give it a very good mix. Keep on low flame for around 5 minutes on closed lid. Finally sprinkle in the garam masala and chilli flakes and give one final mix. 

Serve warm! 

Linking this to the event "Dish it out - Light Dinners" hosted by A Bowl of Curry....



Labels: ,