Simple Dates Pickle

We have had a long weekend, thanks for the 42nd National Day of the UAE. The day is actually today, but nowadays they seem to be clubbing holidays along with the weekend, so we got the holiday yesterday. We went for a long drive to Muscat, to meet a classmate of mine, who I so badly wanted to see and Alhamdulillah, I had a good time. The kids enjoyed and the HD was kind enough to drive the whole long trip up and down. All the sitting in the car has given me some cramped legs and hands, and I am feeling so unlike myself. But that's what long weekends are meant for - you will need an extra day to get over its hangover! Celebrating the "Spirit of the Union", a peek into my B's car:

Happy birthday, UAE! The country that has been a part of me since I was four months old and has continued to be till now... Has given me all the ups and downs but I owe what I am to this country more than the country of my passport, to say truly... Warm people, superb leadership, a place that absorbs you in and makes you a part of it... That's what UAE is all about! I very much know that whoever have been here for at least a few years and have gone down to other parts of the world really miss the time that they spent over here. That is the magnetism behind this great country... All that I have during this day is prayers for more prosperity for this country and it's people... Aameen...

I would have loved to share some local food today, unfortunately I have never tried anything till now! Such a shame, right? :( But yes, for sure InShaAllah, it is already on my agenda. I have collected a few recipes that are local favorites that I would love to try very soon. Till then, I guess I will keep you satisfied with this simple pickle recipe, something that I keep making and love to have. I am not a pickle person, I don't have a tongue for spicy food so I generally avoid pickles. But then I cannot resist a really good garlic pickle or a date pickle. My grandma makes the best garlic pickle and I always have a big jar in my fridge that always lasts till my next vacation! That is how little I eat them, despite loving it... This is my first attempt at making pickle at home and wasn't I really glad? Have made it again a couple of times and have cherished having it as well... It's so simple, and sits good in the refrigerator for a month, that if it stays for that long... :)

Dates Pickle
Makes a small bottle
Recipe adapted from here



Ingredients:

20 dates
2 tbsp oil
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
1/2 tsp ginger paste
1/2 tsp garlic paste
2 green chillies, chopped
2 dry chillies, chopped
A sprig curry leaves
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp red chilli powder
A pinch hing (asafoetida)
1/4 cup vinegar

Method:

Wash and pat dry the dates. Remove the seeds and chop into quarters. Set aside.

In a fry pan, heat the oil. Splutter the mustard and fenugreek seeds. Add in the ginger, garlic, chillies and curry leaves and saute till raw smell is gone, a couple of minutes. Add in the powders and vinegar and allow to boil.

Now add in the chopped dates and mix well. Cook on low flame for around 5 minutes. Switch off, allow to cool and store in a dry bottle.

Notes:

Add more vinegar for sourness. Add boiling water if you want it with liquid.

Labels: , , , ,