Palakkadan Biriyani

I am actually in no mood for a post. But then I am neither in a mood to leave my blog blank for today. So I thought I would just go straight on to the post without any ramblings for today. I have saved all of you from reading my lecture, haven't I? :)

The list of biriyanis I have featured on my blog is proof enough that I come from a biriyani mad family. Today I am sharing one biriyani that I had tried, which I wouldn't call it the best. It was quite a blank biriyani from the many I have tried. So why am I sharing it here? Because, this is actually a super easy biriyani, with very limited ingredients. I served it with just pickle and raita but after having it, I thought I could have had some simple saalan to go with it, because the masala is very limited. However, if you are looking for a very mild biriyani, then this is the one! No complications at all... that is how it is... You can understand it from the color of the biriyani itself...

Palakkadan Biriyani
Serves 4-6
Recipe Courtesy: Ruchi 2012 Magazine



Ingredients:

3 cups basmati rice, washed and drained
3 tbsp ghee
1 kg chicken, cut into medium pieces
3 large onions, sliced
3 large tomatoes, chopped
2 tbsp ginger paste
2 tbsp garlic paste
6 shallots, sliced
3 small pcs cinnamon
5 cardamoms
6 cloves
4 green chillies
1 cup yogurt
1/2 tbsp chilli powder
Salt to taste
Juice of 1 lemon
Coriander leaves, chopped, sufficient

Method:

Cook the rice till 90% done in lots of water. Drain and set aside.

In a deep saucepan, heat the ghee. Add in the whole masalas and saute for a couple of minutes. Add in the sliced onions. Saute till transparent. Add in the chopped shallots, tomato, ginger and garlic and saute till well cooked and the tomatoes are smashed up. Add the chillies as is, along with the yogurt and chicken, mix well and adjust salt. Cook till the chicken is almost done. Finally add the chilli powder and give a nice mix. 

Keep the flame on low and arrange a chappathi tawa on top to heat up. Spread the rice on top of the chicken masala. Sprinkle the lime juice and the coriander leaves on the top. Close the lid tightly and put it on the tawa for 15-20 minutes. Want to know how to put the dum? Refer to this post!

Serve warm with pappadam and raita!!!

Notes:

1. This is a very mild biriyani, as there are no other spices involved apart from the chilli powder. Add more for a more spicy biriyani!
2. Ensure that the chicken is well cleaned and drained. If needed, pat with a kitchen towel well. Otherwise it will lead to a watery masala.
3. You can replace the chicken with mutton or beef, and accordingly adjust the cooking time for the masala.

Linking this to my own event, CWS- Rice...


Labels: , , ,