Karimbu Juice/ Sugarcane Juice - My 16th guest post for FoodOlicious Pictured

When Rekha emailed me for a guest post, I was excited as well as worried. I have to admit that she is one of the best things that has happened to me as a part of blogging. A very good friend, a down to earth person and a sweetheart. One of that little group of people who has given me a lot of positive vibes in blogging. Even though we live in two different areas, I have always loved my interaction with her. She makes it a point always to leave a comment on all my posts, irrespective whether she has time or no, or whether I have gone over and dropped in a comment or not!!!

Deciding on what to give Rekha was not easy at all. First of all, I am in love with her photography. The way she makes her food look is just out of the world. I spent quite some time drooling at her pictures before going to the recipe! Just to take an example of this honey and cinnamon drizzled teacake she posted last week... I felt they were right there in front of me asking me to gobble it down! My photographs are nowhere close to what she does, to say the least! So I was really jittery. But then the sweetheart she is, she just made me understand that she would take anything from me. So after scratching my head a lot, thanks to something that I got in my hand, there you go… What I had to give to her was a nostalgic post that surrounded my favorite drink back home - Karimbu juice/ Sugarcane juice...


To read more and the recipe, do hope on to Rekha's space here. Hope you would all enjoy reading the post as much as I enjoyed drafting it through... :)




Sugarcane Juice/ Karimbu Juice
Serves 3 to 4
Ingredients:
1 foot long piece of sugarcane
1 small piece ginger
1 small lime
Cold water as required
Method:
Start by peeling off the outer skin of the sugarcane. It is a little bit of work, but what you need to do is run the knife slowly at the edge and pull it down, so that it peels. I cut the sugarcane into three pieces – you need a really sharp knife to do it – and peeled off the skin per piece. Peeling off the outer thinly will also do.
Once peeled, chop into medium sized pieces. Add the pieces along with the ginger, lime and cold water into your blender and blend on high speed for a couple of minutes till the ingredients are all well mashed up.

Pour through a sieve into a jar and squeeze off the additional liquid from the blend sugarcane till you cannot squeeze anymore!!! Check for sweetness and add sugar if necessary. The sugarcane I used was not very sweet so I added a couple of tablespoons to reach the correct sweetness. Serve cold and enjoy!!!

Labels: , , , ,