Chicken Cutlets

A beautiful day it is out here! Heavy clouds all around couple with some moderately strong winds, and with rains lashing out in parts of the country. It is such a relief from the heat that we have had this year. Looking forward to more rains that are expected to continue today towards Saturday... I hope I would be able to pull my HD along with the kids for a long drive across the beach with some hot coffee in hand and some soothing music... ;)

Despite the day being lovely, somehow my mind was not in its place. Sometimes, you need a really big shock to get out of the wonderworld that you live in and open your eyes to reality. As soon as I saw this quote today, it went well with the way I was feeling in the morning. But then, you don't take any walk alone, there is an omnipresence who comes along with you. Alhamdulillah, I feel so relaxed now, really guided and confident that that presence with me will guide me throughout my life and ensure that I will be protected from making mistakes that a human being is prone to make. I have understood that there is nothing wrong in making mistakes - it is a process of life to make you learn and to ensure that you do not repeat it again. Also, you go back to it to refresh the lessons you learn and take it into your life strides. The Almighty is all ready to forgive your mistakes, provided that you are pure in your intention to change and move forward. The Qur'an clearly says: 
"It is He Who accepts repentence from His servants and pardons evil acts and knows what they do." (Surat Ash-Shura, 25) 
"Except for those who, after that, repent and put things right. Truly Allah is Ever-Forgiving, Most Merciful." (Surat Al ‘Imran, 89)
So are there any walks you take alone? No, never... maybe not accompanied by somebody physically, but by His presence...

After the heavy talk that takes off a chunk of my mind space, comes a snack perfect for today's climate. I had already promised in my earlier post of Ela Ada that I would share this recipe soon. And finally it is here! Chicken cutlets is something that my umma is a professional at! I must say that MaShaAllah, she makes the best cutlets that I have ever eaten and anybody who has eaten it swears by it. Actually looking into it, it is not a much complicated recipe but getting the consistency of the chicken and potato combination right is what makes a cutlet a winner in all sense. I have learned to make it her way and have made it several times at home, plus also gave it to my close colleagues, who literally went head over heels for it. If during the weekend it rains and I am stuck at home, I am sure I can expect a couple of messages to make these for them!!! Hehe... One problem with cutlets is the risk of it breaking during frying, which I have given some tips at the bottom to ensure that it doesn't happen. So with no more blabbering, straight off to the recipe...

Chicken Cutlets
Makes 30 (depending on size)



Ingredients:

500 gm boneless chicken
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
Salt to taste
500 gm potatoes, boiled and mashed
1 large onion, minced
2 pods garlic (optional)
2 inch pc ginger
3 strands curry leaves
2 green chillies (increase for spiciness)
1/2 tsp garam masala
3 large eggs, slightly beaten
Breadcrumbs, as required
Oil for deep frying

Method:

Add the chicken, turmeric, chilli powders and salt in a pressure cooker and cook for two whistles till the chicken is done. Allow the pressure to go by itself. Open the cooker and cook on high flame till the stock is all dry and coated on the chicken. Allow to cool.

Grind the chicken along with the garlic, ginger, curry leaves and chillies. Add this to the mashed potatoes, along with the minced onion and garam masala and mix well till the chicken and potatoes are very well mixed. Adjust the salt.

Shape into the form of patties, should not be too thick or thin. Dip in the eggs generously and coat in breadcrumbs. Deep fry in hot oil till golden brown.

Devour along with some ketchup or hot sauce, or if you don't have any patience, just like me, then have it as is!!! ;)

Notes:

1. The quantity of potato should never exceed the quantity of chicken, period! This is a rule to really stick to for having cutlets which are of correct consistency and ensures no breakage while frying.
2. Generously dip the cutlets in eggs. means really bath them in the egg. This will ensure that the cutlets are well sealed and there will be less chance of breakages while frying.
3. While coating in breadcrumbs, just give a light coating. Overcoating breadcrumbs would make your oil "dirty" very fast.
4. You may have noticed we add the ginger, garlic, chilli and onions raw. If you are really not comfortable with it, you can fry them in little oil to get rid of the raw taste. Nonetheless, my umma nor I have never done it and have never got any complaints of raw taste in the cutlets.

After having done the post, amn't I tempted to make some when I go back home? Oh really... couple them up with a hot cup of chai, or even better, Horlicks and the rains... ahaha... what a combination... :) :)

Labels: , , , ,