Chilli Chicken

Blogging seems to have a terrible pull. I have to agree. I was supposed to take complete rest today before I start the coming week with quite a bit of roaming activities, but then I'm back on here to do at least one post, so that I don't feel that I am neglecting my little baby! :) Weekends over here are normally supposed to be out, but then it happens to be one of the rare ones where I am stuck at home with the kids and have no mood whatsoever to do, whether it's cooking or eating!!! After having had a hectic week of some marathon running around, sitting at home today feels strange!!! Hehe...

Today, I am sharing with you a chicken recipe, which I am sure many of us have our own style of making. Chilli Chicken is one Indo-Chinese dish that everybody would lick clean. Normally, you see the chicken being cooked directly into the sauce or cooked alone first and then mixed into the sauces. During a casual talk on food, my colleague shared with me the way his wife made her chilli chicken and what intrigued me was that she used a part of the manchurian technique of cooking chicken with a cornflour coating before adding it to the sauces. I tried it, and I must say that it tasted delicious. You would have the sauce, the coating and then finally the chicken for your teeth and taste buds to sink in. It was absolutely loved by all in the family and I did tell my colleague, that this would definitely be up on by blog and here it is today!!!

Chilli Chicken
Serves 4



Ingredients:

1 kg chicken, cut into small pcs
4 tbsp cornflour
1 tsp pepper powder
1 tbsp oil
1 tbsp ginger paste
1 tbsp garlic paste
3 large onions, sliced
1 large capsicum, diced
3 tbsp soya sauce
2 tbsp chilli sauce
1 small pkt (70 gm) tomato paste
2 chicken stock cubes
1 tbsp pepper powder
3/4 cup water
Salt to taste
Chopped spring onion for garnish

Method:

De-skin the chicken and clean well. Pat dry. Mix the cornflour and pepper with very little water into a thick paste. Coat all over the chicken and leave aside for around 15 minutes.

Heat a saucepan and add in the oil. Once the oil becomes hot, add in the chicken peices and saute on high heat till the chicken turns whitish. Drain out from the saucepan and set aside. The chicken will cook completely in the sauces later.

Now add the ginger and garlic paste into the oil and saute till the raw smell goes. Add in the onions and capsicum and cook on meduim flame till the onions wilt, but still has the crunchiness. Add in the sauces, tomato paste, chicken stock cubes and pepper powder and cook for another 5 minutes.  Now add the chicken along with the water, adjust salt. Cover and cook till the chicken is completely cooked.

Serve warm garnished with spring onions.

Labels: , , ,