Chickpeas/ Channa Masala in Coconut Milk

Aaah....  I guess I can start slowly relaxing now! Even though not completely back, I guess a little bit here and there. I have had a rocking time for the past three weeks, with marathon running around the whole of this country! My full family is in town and we have been travelling from one corner to another, driving for long kilometers, hogging like mad and have a lot of fun. I did miss blogging, but then the fun times were not to be missed, right? In between all the good things, I lost my USB which had all my blog material and I am at a loss, to having to start again with a lot of work, but squeezed on time. But then I don't want to give up, definitely not! It's a lot of my hard work that has got lost, but I know I have quite a bit of them here and there so it would just take some time to get back into the mould and recoup all things together, InShaAllah.... :)

Going off to the recipe for today, as usual as I always crib, pulses are not something that my household fellas take in quite happily. It takes a bit of work to ensure that there is nothing left in the bowl. I love to add coconut milk into my curries as it gives a different flavor altogether and was mighty pleased with this curry, which went down so well with some chappathis. Sharing it with all of you... :)

Chickpeas/ Channa Masala in Coconut Milk
Serves 4


Ingredients:

3/4 cup chickpeas, washed and soaked overnight
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
6-8 curry leaves
2 onions, sliced thinly
3 green chillies, slit
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1 small packet (70 gm) tomato paste
1 tbsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp chilli powder
3/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
1 cup coconut milk
1 cup water
Salt to taste

Method:

Heat oil in your pressure cooker. Splutter the mustard seeds. Saute the curry leaves for a minute. Add in the onions and green chillies and saute till the onions become soft. Add in the ginger garlic paste and saute for a couple of minutes. Put in the tomato paste and cook for a further 5 minutes or till the raw smell goes. Add in the masalas and saute for a couple of minutes. Now add in the coconut milk and mix well into a thick paste. Leave it on for 5 minutes. 

Finally add in the washed and soaked chickpeas and the water, adjust the salt and pressure cook the chickpeas till done. Serve hot with chappathis or batturas!

Labels: , , ,