Pinjiyappam - Banana Fritters

Coming back to work after a hectic weekend leaves you in a fix - was it actually a weekend or not? I guess a lot of working mothers would feel this way. The amount of laundry, cleaning, adjusting and all that you need to do seems to be never ending over the weekend! Whenever it is weekend, I promise myself that I am not going to do anything for the day and I am going to relax. But somehow, when I start sitting simply, I feel so bored that I walk into the kitchen and then just make something, that kind of drains my energy that was reserved for making dinner! Does that happen to you all as well?

Coming to today's recipe is another easy peasy snack that my umma makes when we have some ripe bananas staring at us, with nobody ready to eat. Personally, I like the half ripe, hard to bite bananas. It seems they have lower fat compared to ripe bananas, because the sugars are yet to be released. But if those ripe bananas are converted into this, then it is really difficult to stop it with one or two! You just keep munching on them, sipping the tea in between, till your hand searches in the plate for more and then you realize that you have finished all of them in that sitting!!! Contagious, it is!

Pinjiyappam - Banana Fritter
Serves 4-5
Recipe courtesy: My umma


Ingredients:

1 cup all-purpose flour (maida)
1 cup rice flour
1 large ripe plantain/ 2 ripe bananas/ 4-5 small ripe bananas, nicely mashed
1 pinch turmeric powder
1/2 cup sugar (adjust according to banana's sweetness)
1 pinch baking powder
1 pinch cardamom powder
A pinch of salt
Oil for frying

Method:

Combine all the ingredients from flour to salt into a bowl and mix well. Add water only if needed, because the bananas will facilitate the binding. Heat oil in a deep frying pan till really hot. When you drop a bead, it would float up. Drop spoonfuls of the batter and fry on medium heat till the fritters are browned. Savour warm with a cup of chai!

Labels: , , , ,