Mathanum Payarum (Cowpea Beans with Pumpkin) - My 8th guest post for Spicy Foood

Working on a guest post, is always a hassle for me. I don’t know why, it kinds of hits my confidence to a certain level.  When you work on your own blog, you don’t have anybody to please but when it’s a guest post, you have to ensure that the host is happy, isn’t it? My host for the day, Princy of Spicy Foood asked me for a guest post, and I literally gasped, “me?” Seriously, I am so bad at preparing vegetarian fare especially that needs to be served with rice. It’s very rarely that my curries turn out well and I have blogged about it. Otherwise, I take quite time to reach the exact taste that my umma tries to bring. Since Princy asked, I quickly pulled out my drafts and lunged through it to see if there was any sadhya vegetarian fare that I could give. I emailed her whether the recipe for today would be fine, and she replied back saying she would take anything from me! So sweet of her… J

So there I went ahead and gave her this simple yet delicious Mathanum Payarum that my umma makes. I completely go head over heels for this - don't need rice or anything else with this!


To see the recipe, please do hop on to Princy's space here... Hope you all will like it... :)




Mathanum Payarum – Pumpkin with Cowpea Beans
Serves 4
Recipe courtesy: My umma

Ingredients:

1 cup red cowpea beans, soaked in water overnight
500 gm pumpkin, peeled and chopped into large pieces
½ tsp turmeric powder
¾ tsp chilli powder (increase for spiciness)
Salt to taste
For grinding:
¼ cup grated coconut
2 shallots, peeled
2 cloves garlic
½ tsp fennel seeds
¼ tsp cumin seeds
2 green chillis
For tempering:
1 tsp coconut oil
¼ tsp mustard seeds

Method:

- See more at: http://spicyfoood.blogspot.ae/2013/09/onam-guest-post-mathanum-payarum.html#sthash.kV7jFwNG.dpuf

Labels: , , , ,