Egg Pakoda

After ages, I've had an absolutely relaxing weekend, involving minimal cooking and more relaxing. I ensured that I didn't go out much with the kids, even though I did go for a couple of hours of shopping on Friday - one hour buying the stuff I wanted in full swing and the other hour getting stuck in traffic!!! The rest of the time - I enjoyed some "me" time in the early morning, embracing the beautiful silence in the home, cooking a hearty lunch and eating with a lot of zest too!!! Yesterday, I decided to give myself and the kitchen a break and really loved it! I guess we all need to just let go our normal plans and take things a bit lightly, so that we get the real feel of what a weekend actually feels like! :)

This recipe comes so late, provided that umma had made this during the initial days of Ramadan! Yes, I am pretty slow in posting recipes and I admit it! :) You can really make it out from the messy pictures that I had clicked as it was getting closer to Iftar time and umma was losing out on her patience levels! The snack is nothing but a pakoda with a surprise of an egg piece inside, but it just tastes too good with a cup of hot chai to go along with it!

Egg Pakoda
Serves 4


Ingredients:

4 eggs, boiled till hard and cut into quarters
2 large onions, diced
1 tsp ginger paste
2 green chillies, chopped
5-6 curry leaves, chopped
A pinch of hing (asafoetida)
1 cup besan (gram) flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
Salt to taste
Water, sufficient
Oil to deep fry

Method:

Mix in a bowl from onions to salt and slowly add water to make a thick batter. 

Heat oil in a kadai till hot. Slowly coat a quarter egg with the pakoda mixture till fully done and slide into the oil. Fry till golden brown. Drain on a kitchen towel. Repeat till completely done. Serve warm with ketchup or chilli sauce!


Notes:

1. Frying eggs can cause the oil to burst while hot. Please be extra careful of oil splutters!!!
2. In case the batter gets watery, add more besan or all purpose flour to tighten it up. 
3. The remaining batter can be made into plain pakodas too!!! ;)

Labels: , , , ,