Cherupayar Curry/ Moong Dal Curry

I am so eagerly waiting forward to the coming week. You may be thinking, why? :) Because I will be on leave from work for 18 days, starting from Sunday!!! Yay...

Wait a minute! There's nothing to be excited about as such. First of all, I am going to be here in the hot weather with no travelling at all. Moreover, I am taking this break from work to finish off another work - Rasha's holiday homework!!! Seriously, I don't understand why schools call it "holiday homework". It's the kids who are on holidays, but the homework is for the parents, most of whom are not on holiday! Since the last month was quite hectic, I didn't even get time to go through anything with her. My leave also has been pending for ages, so thought, this would be the best time to take it up... Let's see how the days go. I am trying to squeeze in a couple of extra curricular activities, which I really don't know whether it would materialise. Keeping my fingers crossed....

Following the puttu post of yesterday, I am posting the curry that we very frequently serve it with especially for our dinners. I love the combination of puttu and this moong dal curry, it just tastes so good. This curry goes very well with rice as well. Off to the recipe now...

Cherupayar Curry/ Moong Dal Curry
Serves 4


Ingredients:

3/4 cup moong dal, soaked for 8 hours 
1 large onion, sliced
1 large tomato, sliced
3 green chillies, slit
2 tbsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
3/4 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp garam masala powder
1/2 tsp pepper powder
Salt to taste
3/4 cup (150 ml) thin coconut milk
For tempering:
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp mustard seed
4 shallots, sliced
5-6 curry leaves

Method:

Pressure cook all the ingredients from moong dal to pepper powder, with sufficient water, till well cooked. Ensure that there is not too much of water in the cooker, otherwise the curry will become watery. I cook for one whistle and almost 25 minutes on simmer till done. 

Once the pressure is all gone, open the lid, add the coconut milk and put the curry on simmer till it boils. Adjust the salt. Heat oil in a little saucepan, splutter the mustard seeds. Saute the shallots till lightly brown and then add the curry leaves. Saute for a minute. Dump the tempering into the curry and mix well.

Serve hot with rice, puttu, idiyappam or rice dosas!

Notes:

The curry tends to thicken as you leave it to cool. Add warm water to loosen it.

Labels: , , , , ,