Chakkakuru Ularthiyathu/ Jackfruit Seeds Stir-fry

I am literally gawking at my list of drafts. Quite a bit!!! I guess I have to keep posting if I have to start getting a bit updated, but actually speaking I don't want to do that, because if I have to stop cooking for a small period of time, I am rest assured that I have the drafts to support me. I am in a situation where I may have to slow down my cooking any time in the near future, so it is always better to be having a back up rather than leaving my blog unattended!!! :)

That goes to show the fact, that I am posting a Chakkakkuru recipe when it is not jackfruit season. Jackfruits have come and gone. Even now, though there maybe jackfruits at some places, they will be filled with rain water that they taste more like water than the fruit!!! I had made this when I had the seeds with me in plenty and absolutely loved it. Though I tweaked the original recipe to include the ingredients I had in my pantry, it tasted so good that I kept having it for three days continuously!!! Next time I have stock (maybe next year, InShaAllah!!!) I'll definitely make this again!

Chakkaru Ularthiyathu/ Jackfruit Seeds Stir Fry
Serves 4-6
Recipe adapted from here


Ingredients:

20-25 nos. jackfruit seeds, cut into peices
10 shallots, sliced
1/4 cup grated coconut
1 tbsp garlic paste
1/2 tsp crushed chilli flakes
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp black pepper powder
Salt to taste
3/4 cup water
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
7-8 curry leaves

Method:

Cook the jackfruit seeds with half of the shallots and ingredients from coconut to water in your pressure cooker till done. I normally cook for three whistles and leave it on low flame for 30 minutes, switch off and let the pressure go on itself. Open the lid and give it a nice stir. Adjust seasoning.

Heat oil in a small saucepan. Splutter the mustard seeds, fry the remaining sliced shallots till brown and fry the curry leaves till aromatic. Dump the cooked jackfruit into the oil and leave on low flame for five minutes for the flavors to mix. Serve warm with rice and curry!!!

You can refer to my other Chakkakuru recipes - Chakkakuru Mulakittathu (Jackfruit seeds in spicy sauce) and Chakkakuru Payasam (Jackfruit seeds kheer).

Labels: , ,