Malai Chicken

I have had a real hectic weekend. Since the next one month is going to be quite packed with Ramadan related activities, I ensured that I took the kids out and they enjoyed themselves to the maximum. I am still sure that I will receive complaints that I am not taking them out, but then slowly they will understand how hectic it is going to be... :)

Today I leave you people with this fantastic quote. Have you found somebody like this in your life? Think about it...

Off to today's recipe - I had made this curry for the first time exactly two Ramadans ago. This was the first Ramadan I was without my umma, as she was back home. I really didn't know ABCD about cooking - yes, it was the time when she had started her long stays in Kerala and I was just learning to figure out to cook on my own. Cooking in Ramadan is quite puzzling, as you have to ensure cooking filling meals, that will keep your energy levels going well from dawn to dusk. I had received this tiny cookery booklet along with the local newspaper and the first recipe that I jumped on was this Malai Chicken. I prepared it while all the men had gone to the masjid for the night prayers - Taraweeh. When my D came home, he remarked, "Did you order food from outside?" "No uppa, what happened?" "The house smells like a restaurant!!!" Can you appreciate my excitement? :) My first out-of-a-cookbook trial and this is the comment I got. After this, I have tried this curry several times and have got the same lipsmacking experience. 

Malai Chicken
Serves 3-4


Ingredients:

2 tbsp oil
1 red chilli
2 cloves and 2 cardamoms
1/2 inch cinnamon stick
1 bay leaf
1 onion chopped
2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
500 gm boneless chicken
1/2 tsp chilli powder
3/4 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
Salt to taste
1 packet tomato paste
2 tbsp cream
1 tsp garam masala
2 tbsp coriander leaves

Method:

Heat oil in a pan. Add the red chilli, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, bay leaf and saute till the bay leaf turns golden brown. Add the onion and fry for 2 minutes. Add the ginger garlic paste and fry for 4-6 minutes. Then add the chicken and fry for 5 minutes. Sprinkle in the masala powders and the salt. Cover the chicken, add water if necessary, and cook for about 15 minutes till three quarter is cooked. Add the tomato paste and cook on low heat. Add the cream, garam masala and coriander leaves. Remove from fire after a couple of minutes.

Serve hot with chappathis or porottas... :)

Labels: , ,