Koonthal/ Squid Roast

After doing so many posts, I have realized that I have not posted even a single fish recipe. Not even a single??? Cannot be... But then it's true... We cook fish at home on a daily basis. Even though fish does not feature on my list for the weekdays as I depend on the previous night's dinner for my dose of lunch the next day at office, my folks at home need a small piece of fried fish to go with their afternoon meals of rice and curry. At least here we make curries of vegetables, however back home - I mean Kerala-, it's daily fish curry, either with coconut or without, but not one day passes without fish curry, and that too twice a day - lunch and dinner!!! Darn...

HD had bought squid with the hope that I would clean it and cook all by myself. I smilingly declared: "You know I am allergic, how do I cut and clean it? If you do it for me, then I will cook." Now he was in a fix - he so badly wanted to eat squid. So there, he changed his clothes, pulled out the cutting board and the knife and got to cleaning the squid. Since I also put on gloves and helped him out cut the squid, I couldn't take snaps of this very rare moment!!! Hehe... Then I got making this roast along with tomato rice... I will not post the tomato rice I made because I got really weird mixed reviews!!! Not talking about that much... hehe...

Even though I ate just one peice to just know the taste, it was wiped in no time. Thankfully, HD devored it and gave me a big thumbs up... :)

Koonthal/ Squid Roast
Serves 2-3


Ingredients:

10 squids, cleaned and cut into peices
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
Handful curry leaves
1 large onion, sliced
1 large tomato chopped
Salt to taste

Method:

Add the squid along with ingredients from ginger-garlic paste to fennel seeds in a pressure cooker with very little water. Cook till done.

Heat oil in a saucepan. Splutter the mustard seeds. Fry the curry leaves for a few seconds and then add in the onion. Cook till it becomes soft. Add the tomato and continue cooking on low flame till the tomatoes get smashed. Add the cooked squid along with the masala paste from the pressure cooker and cook on high flame, continously stirring till the sauce becomes thick.

Serve warm with rice and curry, pulao, roti... It's upto you!!! :)

Labels: , , ,