Chicken Kuruma

Do we all have the lives that we have always wanted? From morning, this question has been dancing in my head... If I take a look at only one example in my life, which is this blog, I would have the answer. It is a clear NO, most of the time. This blog just happened, and now what it has become was something I never fathomed it would be. Similarly, everything in my life has happened like that, some things that I never expected would happened, but nevertheless happened. No wonder why Allah is called "the Best Planner". Just like the proverb, "Man proposes, God disposes..." :)

Today, Rasha's exams started. And it started with Science - something that she hates. I asked her, "How was it, molu?" She very innocently replied: "The teacher gave me four sheets, three sheets I've done correctly, but the fourth one I know is full wrong!" :) OK, no problem... Seriously, I don't want to push her. In our house, we never had that tradition, or in fact, my D never pushed us to really study as such. He would always tell umma, "Avarku venamengil avar padicholum!" (If they want, they will study...) And I've got that same thought in my head. Oh well, that's remind me - today's is International Father's Day. Even though I will not be celebrating it as such, I just know that my D will be my first hero for all the years that I will be alive on this earth for sure, InShaAllah... :)

Off to today's recipe, it's a very easy chicken curry with coconut in it, with a very "Malayalamised" name - Kuruma. It's basically Korma, but when you tell it in Malayalam, the whole slang changes!!!! Hehe... just like how we love to call "stew" as "eshtu". I used to always wonder about it, but now I know what it is... :D We have a funny language... hehe...

Chicken Kuruma
Serves 4-5


Ingredients:
1 kg chicken, cut into medium pcs
To grind:
1/2 cup grated coconut
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 inch pc cinnamon
For curry:
1 tbsp oil
1 tbsp ginger paste
1 tbsp garlic paste
2 large onions, sliced thinly
2 large tomatoes, chopped
3 green chillies, slit (add more for spiciness)
2 tbsp corinader poweder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
A few coriander leaves
Salt to taste

Method: 

Griind all the ingredients under the "To Grind" section into a smooth paste, adding very little water. 

Heat oil in a saucepan. Saute the ginger and garlic paste till the raw smell goes. Add the onions and saute till transparent. Add the tomatoes and the green chillies and continue cooking till tomato gets nicely smashed and the onions are thoroughly cooked. Add the chicken peices and mix well. Add in the masalas and the ground masala paste along with salt. Cook till the chicken becomes tender. 

Serve garnished with coriander leaves. 

Labels: , , ,