Vazhuthananga Parippu Curry/ Brinjal Dal Curry

Even though I love cooking, there is one thing I dread to do - making curries for afternoon rice. We, being from the land of coconuts and paddy fields (which are fast disappearing unfortunately!!!) are so stuck to our rice eating habits that it is so difficult to get rid of it. Thankfully, my HD is OK with anything he gets to it, but my D definitely wants rice - can't blame him, they have had this habit from the beginning. When umma is gone for her long breaks, I struggle to plan out the afternoon curries. There has been times when I have made a big "chatti" full of sambar, enough to meet the requirements for a week and I get to see my poor D's expressions every time I come back from office. How wouldn't he, after having that sambar from Saturday right till Wednesday? On Thursday morning, while I will be struggling to make up for breakfast, I will get a very "paavam" expression with a question:

D: "Is it sambar for today afternoon as well?"
Me: "Yes, uppa, the last bit... then it's finish, I promise!"

I hope you understand his plight! That was when I decided, come what may, I am going to try to learn at least to get close to what curries my umma makes. The range may not be much, but each time I make it, there is always a spelling mistake!!! How much I hate that...

This is one very simple curry that umma keeps making and we all love it to the core. Goes so well with a simple meal of rice and chammanthi podi, or to be even grand, a piece of fish fry...

Vazhuthananga Parippu Curry/ Brinjal Dal Curry
Serves 4-6


Ingredients:

1 cup masoor dal
2 large brinjals, cut into large peices
1 cup water
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1/2 cup grated coconut
4-5 shallots
3 green chillies
1 tsp ginger paste
Salt to taste
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
4-5 dry round red chillies
Curry leaves

Method:

Add the dal, brinjal, water, turmeric powder and fennel seeds to a pan and cook on medium low flame till the dal gets mashed and the brinjal gets cooked. Meanwhile, grind the coconut to ginger paste to a smooth paste. Add it to the cooked curry and keep till it simmers, approximately 5 minutes. Adjust your salt.

Heat oil in a little saucepan. Splutter the mustard seeds. Fry the dry chillies and curry leaves and dump into the curry. Serve with rice and any side dish of your choice.

Linking this post to Jagruthi's Mom's event and Foodelicious Cook Like Mom event

cook like mom

Labels: , , , , ,