No-Bake Mango Cheesecake - Eggless

Sneak peak... :)
Mangoes are kind of here, I can say. Not much... The prices are still very high and I can't wait for next month when the stock of Pakistani mangoes are going to come. I should say, they are the mangoes that you can call "cheap and best". Nice, juicy and really tasty. I had received two little "consignments" from our big mango tree back home, one through my D and the other through my umma. Didn't last long, though, it was wiped up in no time by the gang at home. Whatever I had reserved for myself, I used it for making this yummy cheesecake...

There are some recipes that you cannot resist the urge of trying it out. When I saw this cheesecake that was a part of the Baking Partner's Challenge in April on Kaveri's and Vineetha's space, I just had to make it. And I had the perfect reason of my brother's birthday that was coming up in due course. I readied all ingredients the previous night - put the yogurt to drain, transferred the paneer from freezer to fridge, did the pulp out of the fresh mangoes in the pantry - so that once I was in from the office, my first task would be to make this and keep it back into the fridge for his birthday. Since it was a large cheesecake, we gobbled up half and the remaining half was given to my colleagues, who absolutely loved it. One of them - the anti-processed type - inquired about the ingredients and as I explained "china grass", he gasped, "Grass??? Gosh, you made us eat grass???" Sigh... I had to explain that china grass is blah blah blah blah... Hehe...

No Bake Mango Cheesecake
Makes a 8" springform pan
Recipe adapted from Divine Taste


Ingredients:

200 gm digestive biscuit
100 gm butter
800 gm yogurt
400 gm paneer
1 cup mango pulp
12.5 gm agar agar or china grass
1-1/2 cup (300 ml) water
1-1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence

Method:

Strain the yogurt in a cheese cloth overnight to get very thick hung curd. Thaw the paneer and grind it along with the thick yogurt to a smooth yet hard paste. Pour it into a large mixing bowl. 

Crush the digestive biscuits in a grinder. Melt the butter. Mix both together till well incorporated. Press to the bottom of a 8-inch spring-form pan. Refrigerate for an hour. 

Soak the agar agar in the water for 15-20 minutes till soft. Keep on low flame and cook till the agar agar gets melted completely. At the same time, keep the mango pulp on low flame, ensuring it does not boil. Once the agar agar melts, add the mango pulp into it and mix well to incorporate - all to be done when the flame is still on. Keep for another five minutes and switch off. 

Add the mango pulp to the paneer yogurt mixture and mix well with a metal whisk. Add in the sugar and vanilla essence finally and give it a good mix till the sugar is well incorporated. Pour this mixture over the prepared biscuit base and refrigerate for minimum 2 hours till well set. 

Notes:

Packed separately for my colleagues... :)
1. To be sure that there are no bites, I blended the mango pulp-agar agar mixture together and then poured it into the yogurt-paneer mixture. 

2. I didn't have the ingredients for the glaze. But to get the color on the top, I mixed 3 tbsp of Tang Mango in 100 ml cold water and poured it on top once the cheesecake was set. After a few hours, I took out the pan, poured out the Tang and then released from the spring-form. This gave a nice color on the top. :)


I would have loved to take the picture of this beautiful mango cheesecake with a sprig of mint. I had kept a lone sprig that I had so religiously reserved to beautify this cake - we sparely buy mint as it makes its way to the garbage more often than to the food! I left it on the pantry slab and moved towards the room to pick up the camera. When I came back, what I saw was that lone sprig making its way to my little one's mouth. She's very organic, you see... anything green fancies her attention. As I watched the mint being minced by her little tooth, she gave me a big smile... Ah... so there I left it empty at the top as I had no mangoes also to decorate it with... Hmmm...

Istagrammed, as soon as it was cut... :)

Labels: , , ,