Chicken Chukka

In my previous post, I was so excited that I had no plans for the weekend, and I could "twist and tweek" as I would want it to. And "twist and tweek", it did - literally!!! On Thursday, while excitedly walking towards my car and chatting to my umma, suddenly I don't know what happened, I twisted my right leg so badly that  I lost my balance and held onto mom, hurling Azza who was holding my left hand away. Alhamdulillah, nothing happened to her but I was in total pain. Come Friday, and I had a nice big swelling on that leg with some pain, which is normal for any sprain, right??? I was at home for the whole day, resting my leg and bearing my howling kids, as my HD said, "No going out today, better rest!" Weekend gone...

On Saturday, still it was paining with the swelling. I insisted we go see an ortho. Consultation and an X-ray later, the doc declared that I had a little scratch on my bone and a torn ligament, which is not that serious, but if I don't put a cast now, each time I sprain my right leg, I will suffer for a week. We looked at each other's face, and then he confirmed to the doctor for the cast. Boy, what a cast!!! They wrapped up my complete leg, making me feel that I had broken a bone rather than just scratched it! So there, I have "twisted and tweeked" my right leg, taken medical leave from office for a week, and this cast makes me feel seriously handicapped - I can't drive, what more should I ask for??? :( :(

Today, I am sharing another of my umma's oft repeated recipe. Her chicken chukka was one menu that featured on our tables every second Tuesday. I have already mentioned before how she had a fixed timetable and therefore we could predict what was going to be served every day!!! :) I always thought that this was just chicken fry in onion masala, when I discovered that this is what is called Chukka in restaurants!!! Hehe... off to the recipe now...

Chicken Chukka
Serves 4 - 5
Recipe courtesy: My umma :)


Ingredients:

For the marinating masala: check up the list as in my Kerala Style Baked Chicken post
1 kg chicken, skinned and cut into small pieces
Oil, to fry
5 onions, sliced thinly
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
2 large tomatoes, chopped
1 tsp Kashmiri Chilli powder
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric
A sprig of curry leaves
Salt to taste

Method:

Marinate the chicken for at least an hour. Heat oil in a pan and shallow fry till nice and done, brown on the outside. Drain the chicken in a kitchen towel. 

In the same oil, add the curry leaves and fry for a minute. Add the onions and saute till it turns translucent  Add in the ginger garlic paste and cook for a minute till the raw smell goes. Now add the tomatoes and cook till the tomatoes get fairly smashed. Add in the masalas and salt and cook for 5 minutes till the masalas are well cooked. Add the fried chicken and mix well to incorporate the onion masala. Keep it on low flame for 5 minutes for the flavors to incorporate. 

Serve hot with chapathi or paratha!!! Slurp!!!

Labels: , , , ,