Lebanese Lentil Soup

Some days are never meant to be the way it is to be. I had so much plans for the weekend, unfortunately everything is almost down the drains. There is no point in complaining, it is much better to take things in your way... However, I have planned a couple of things in the kitchen for sure, let me see how it works out... :)

Today's recipe is a very simple soup. Actually, we are not a soup family. We hardly have soup. My umma is not very fond of it, so we hardly make it. Also in case we make it, it's always the packs of Maggi or Knorr and never from scratch at home. This is the very first soup I have made at home and I really loved the way it tasted. The only problem that it kept getting thick when it gets cold, but that's the way lentils are, right?

Lebanese Lentil Soup
Serves 4-6


Ingredients:

1 cup red lentils (masoor)
1 sachet vegetable/ chicken stock powder
1 litre water
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 small onion, sliced finely
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp paprika powder
4 tbsp chopped coriander
Salt to taste

Method:

Cook the lentils with the water and chicken stock powder till well cooked. I used my pressure cooker for this step.

Heat a saucepan and add the olive oil. Saute the garlic till a lovely aroma comes. Add in the onions and saute till translucent. Add the cumin powder and paprika powder and cook for a couple of minutes. Add this in the cooked lentils and mix well. Adjust the seasoning and finally add the coriander leaves. Serve warm.

Linking it to the recipe to Mission Explore Soup happening at My Cooking Journey and  CookCookandCook and Thoushaltcook.

Labels: , , ,