Chammanthi Podi/ Chutney Powder

I had hinted a couple of posts ago that this is a celebratory weekend. Today is our wedding anniversary!!! We are one of the most least romantic couples in the whole world, who never have anything planned for this day. We reminisce, smile and move on with our life  Hehe... there is fun in that too, right? The Almighty has been good - we have had a comfortable life despite some tightening here and there (part and parcel!!!) and two lovely kids. What more should I ask for? I wanted to do something today, but then, it's a weekday and I have to be at work and once I am home, it will be the usual mad rush, so I finalized on a little cake for today. The cake is done, frosted (my first full frosting!!!) and in the fridge, for final touch ups once I go back home. My fingers are crossed!!!

Photo: Roasting 4 chammanthi n loving the aroma....
Instagrammed the roasting... :)
Yesterday morning, after doing some of the basic works for the cake, I set myself the task of finishing off the Kerala Kitchen challenge of the month. It was Chammanthi Podi, which is actually quite new to me. Do I have some eyes on me? Actually, we never make this. Somehow it has never been a part of our routine, but I've heard a lot of my friends at school say that they have this in their pantry at any given time. Some used to even bring it in their lunch boxes during our special classes. OK, now what is special classes? Here, since our school timings are from 7 to 1 or 8 to 2, when in our boards - 10th and 12th - we have extra two hours as special classes for finishing off the portions. Fun those times used to be... :)

So went ahead and made it and loved the whole process, especially the lovely aroma in the kitchen... I reduced the chillies by half yet the spice levels were a bit too much for our modest tongues. My F had it with his dosas for dinner and loved it. So did the H. I'm sure you guys must be wondering - is this a recipe to post on a special day? Let me be a bit hatke!!! :D

Chamanthi Podi
Makes 2 x 125 gm bottles
Recipe courtesy: Edible Garden


Ingredients:
All ready...

2 cups fresh grated coconut
1/2 cup chopped shallots (around 8 large ones)
8 dried red chillies
1 tsp black pepper
2 tsp urad dal
A handful of curry leaves
2 inch pc ginger
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp asafoetida/ kaayam
1 small pc tamarind

Method:

Dry roast all the ingredients from the coconut to the ginger till nicely browned. Keep stirring to avoid sticking to the bottom of the pan. Allow to cool. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.

Once cooled, grind into a coarse powder and store it in a dry glass bottle. Have it little at a time along with your kanji (rice porridge), rice, dosas or idlis.

PS: Despite reducing the red chillies to half the quantity, I found it incredibly spicy for our tongues!!!

Labels: , , ,