Vettu Cakes/ Cut Cakes

The weekend was very lonely. My parents and my elder one have gone to India to attend a relative's marriage. It's just me and the younger one most of the time. My B is locked himself up in the room, completing his assignments and my HD is as usual packed with his work. So both of us have been staring at each other's face and blabbering sweet nothings!!! She kind of feels bored with me sometimes, so she goes into her deep thoughts. So much so for today's kids!!!

While publishing the guest post of yesterday, I suddenly realized that it was post #49. Goosebumps!!! My little blog baby is growing at a pace that I had never imagined when I started. I am just 2 months and a week into this, taking things at my own pace and I am already on post #50!!! Wow!!! Not only that, in the past couple of days, my page has had 10K hits!!! This wouldn't have been possible if you all beautiful people out there wouldn't have supported wholeheartedly with those lovely comments that keep pouring post after post. This is my promise - for all the wonderful support you guys have provided, there is something coming up for you all. I am in the final stages of the planning, and hopefully should be ready very very soon. I hope you all will be with me to make this little event of mine a great success!!!

For today's special post, I am going to share a recipe which is so full of my umma. She makes this when she is in a good mood to make something! :) My umma is not somebody who cooks more than what is in her schedule for cooking. We used to crave for her cakes and savories and pray for her good mood to come! A couple of weeks ago, when I entered home after work, the smell of her cakes were wafting all over the house. YES, umma's vettu cakes!!! Immediately, I caught hold of the cakes, clicked it, and tried to get the recipe in her "approximate" terms. Why do moms have approximates and never exact? As I type this, there's just a couple left at our house now and I guess I should make some!

Vettu Cakes/ Cut Cakes


Ingredients:

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup semolina
3 large eggs
2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
Oil, for deep frying

Method:

Sieve the dry ingredients together and keep aside. Beat the eggs and sugar till the sugar dissolves and the eggs become fluffy.  Slowly add the dry ingredients in batches of 2-3 and keep beating, till it forms the shape of a dough. If it gets too hard, add very little water. The consistency will be similar to that of a chapathi dough. Spread it out on a flat bowl, round shaped and at thickness of 2 inches. Cover and leave the dough to rest for an hour.

Cut the dough diagnally both ways to form diamond shapes. Take each diamond shape and make a cut in the centre. Heat oil in a deep kadai. Once the oil has reached high heat point, lower the flame to medium low and fry the cakes till brown on the outside. Drain on kitchen towel and cool. Serve with a hot cup of chai or coffee!!!


Umma's notes:

1. The proportion of all purpose flour and semolina is 2:1.
2. The number of eggs is dependent on the number of cups of flour + semolina
3. Sugar is as per taste.
4. Do not fry on high flame!!! The outer may brown but the inner portion will remain uncooked.
5. This cake keeps well in an airtight container for upto 6 weeks. But it normally does not stay that much!! :)

Linking it to the Mummy Ka Magic event on Kachu's Delights and Favorite Recipes - Mela Food by Merry Tummy... :)



Ongoing Event



Labels: , , , ,