Egg Omelette Curry

I just cannot get over my cookbook obsession. I had promised myself I wouldn't order anymore online as I have no space to keep my current cookbooks. I'm bathing - literally - in papers of recipes and then all the cookbooks that I had promised myself that I would not get any. Yesterday, while surfing Book Depository, I found some amazing little cookbooks for Australia Weekly, which I have seen in stores over here and cost literally a bomb - yeah, cookbooks are absolutely expensive in this part of the world! You know how many I ordered, 10 of them!!! :( Now I don't know where to go and put them in. The funniest part is that these will all come to my office address and I bet I will raise a few eyebrows out here.

Sharjah witnessed the biggest book fair ever in November last year and I had decided to go with a string budget to ensure that I don't buy much books - read cookbooks!!! Surprisingly, my HD joined in along with the kids and I was so happy that I was having my cashier around! ;) While he browsed through the books, I left the kids with him - yes, they are more happy and disciplined with their abba than with their ummi - and went for a round and this particular book caught my attention. I had heard big about it and just went through the book, then decided that I had to buy it.

It was ignored for a couple of months, then I pulled it out and tried the Chettinad Egg Curry, as per the exact quantities as mentioned, and boy, I was absolutely disappointed. The curry in the picture looked so creamy and what I got was a watery mess!!! After this incident, I was kind of wary about going back to this book. Then I made this egg curry. Having gained some wisdom from the last goof up, I ensured I didn't pour the same amount of water as mentioned in the book. This time, it came out perfect, and that's why I am sharing it here!!! :)

Moral of the story: Do not pour the same amount of water as mentioned in any recipe. Pour half or even 1/4th and add additional water if required, later!!! :)

Egg Omelette Curry
Serves 4-5
Recipe adapted from "50 great curries of India" by Camelia Punjabi


Ingredients:

For the omelette:
4 large eggs
1 meduim onion, sliced finely
1 tbsp coriander leaves
Salt to taste
Black pepper powder to taste
1 tsp coconut oil

For masala:
3 tbsp grated coconut
1 1/2 tbsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
3/4 tsp garam masala
3 tablespoon water

For the curry:
1 tbsp coconut oil
4 meduim onion, sliced thinly
3 green chillies, slit midway
Salt to taste
2 tomatoes, sliced
1 tbsp vinegar
500 ml water
Coriander leaves for garnishing

Method:

Mix all the ingredients for the omelette and fry it in the oil. Slice into square pieces when cool and set aside. Grind the ingredients for the masala and keep aside.

Heat your saucepan and pour the oil. Once oil heats, add the onions, green chillies and salt and saute till slightly browned. Add the ground paste and fry for 2 minutes or till the raw smell goes away. Add in the tomatoes and vinegar and cook till the tomatoes get smashed. Add the water and simmer for 10 minutes till the mixture slightly thickens. Adjust the salt. Add the cut omelette peices and simmer for a further 5 minutes. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve warm.

Labels: , , ,