Be My Guest - Punjabi Shahi Colored Zarda

It's a Saturday and time for the next guest post... Seriously, I am so happy that whoever I have written to have always come back with a positive response, be it Meena, Hasna and now it's Noor. I am not sure if you are familiar with her - but her facebook page has over 1000 likes, which is not bad at all!!!

I came across Noor through FB and was instantly attracted to her page. I am big fan of Pakistani cuisine and she had a lot of traditional recipes with some really nice pictures, and not only that, her blog is beautifully and very professionally done. I was not sure how she would take my request for a guest post, so I contacted her through FB message and was surprised to find a nice homely lady, ready to give in. This is the first time somebody has asked her for a guest post and I am glad I did. She also wanted to know what she should be giving me and I told her, anything traditional should do. So I guess, since she thought I am a sweet tooth, let it be a traditional sweet.

Actually, I have never tried zarda before. I have a recipe with me of the basic zarda, which I want to try sometime soon - if time permits. During this time, I guess we all will just stare at Noor's pictures and drool over it, while going through the recipe... :)

Off to you, Noor...

Feel like taking it and eating it off the screen!!!

Salam! I'm super excited to be guest posting here at "Big Sweet Tooth" but there are 2 things you should know first:
My name is Quratulain Noor ,I am M.Sc in Botany and before marriage was a successful teacher,now a home maker and mother of two cute  and naughty boys...its a bit difficult for me to cook with my curious Georges.But i love to cook for my family and my friends.I started my FB page one year ago and blog 3 months back.I wanted to share my experiences to others ,like my mother transferred her's to me. The story of what I eat is the story of my life, and you will find plenty of stories to keep you amused on my blog.

I Love conversation. I like to learn and I like to share what I learn. I like to turn people on to ideas and the people who have them.After my mother, every single person who is sharing there own experiences and good ideas is my inspiration.I have a big sweet tooth....lolz, I love chocolate and desserts.I always try new things and keen to improve my presentation skills... One really important thing I've learned is that all the skill in the world can't replace a love of cooking and that's why we're all here.

PUNJABI SHAHI COLORED ZARDA

I learned to make this zarda in Punjab(Pakistan) ,this zarda here, is a very important dessert and on most of the occasions people add this as a sweet dish.


INGREDIENTS:
Rice  ½ kg
Sugar   1/2 kg
Water    as needed
Ghee   ½ cup
Green cardamom   4-5
Coconut  cut in thin slices   as needed

Khoya   1 cup
Almond    as needed
Pistachio   as needed
Cashew nuts   as needed
Ashrefi    red and green 3 tbsp
Orange peel    few strands
Food colors  Red ,green
Baby rasgullas and gulab jamuns
Kewra water  few drops(optional)


METHOD:

Wash rice and soak them for ½ hour then add water in a deep pan and let it boil then add rice in it, cook till nearly done (one kani left) drain and set aside. In a pan pour ghee and cardamom let it crackle ,then add sugar let it cook for few seconds then add 1 cup water and let sugar dissolve and form a syrup .On this stage add rice and mix well,cover with lid and when syrup starts to dry ,add red and green food color in a form of drops .Two red and two green drops with equal distance ,do not use excess color.let it simmer and before serving add khoya ,nuts,ashrafi ,baby rasgullas, gulab jamun and serve hot.Can add kewra water before simmering.

In the end i would like to thanks my Sweet host ,who invited me with love to share my Traditional recipes...Thanks Rafeeda. God bless you.


Doesn't that look amazing? Just look at the colors, and the little gulab jamuns and rasagullas decorating the dish, yum yum.... Do visit her lovely page and inform her that you are coming from my side, so that she feels glad about it. And trust me, you are going to enjoy the galour of recipes that are there on her page, tempting you to try a couple of them atleast when you are free...

Labels: , ,