Kerala Kappa Masala - Tapioca Masala

At least, I am on time. I finally bought tapioca last Tuesday and came home. We normally don't buy tapioca due to my umma's diabetes problem. So it has been quite some time since we have had some. As soon as umma saw the grocery, she immediately ordered my B to get fresh beef from the local grocery. Then she gave me a smile and said, "Ethrayum kaalam kappa biriyani thinitilla, onnu undakko?" ("I've not had tapioca biriyani till now, can you make it for me?") Who can resist kappa biriyani? Finally, I just kept around 700 gms aside and used up the remaining to make the kappa biriyani, the recipe of which will come in due course.

This weekend, I made the Kerala Kitchen challenge for our chai break. The recipe is adapted from Edible Garden, who is hosting this month's challenge, however made slight changes to the quantities to match our family's taste. It was appreciated by all. When we normally make kappa for chai, we don't add the garlic and chilli so that was a tasty addition. 

Kappa Masala
Serves 4


Ingredients:

750 gms tapioca, peeled and cut into small pcs
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
Salt to taste 
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
2 sprigs curry leaves
1 tsp fresh garlic paste (home made)
1 tsp chilli flakes

Method:

Wash and pressure cook the tapioca along with the turmeric powder and salt till done. I pressure cooked it for one whistle, switched it off and let the pressure go on its own. Drain and keep aside. 

Heat oil in your saucepan. Splutter the mustard seeds. Add the curry leaves, garlic paste and chilli flakes and saute till the garlic leaves out an awesome aroma. Add the cooked tapioca and give it a nice mix till the masala gets coated well. Leave for a couple of minutes on low flame. Switch off and serve hot with a cup of hot chai!!!

So glad to be participating in this month's Kerala Kitchen challenge!!! 

Labels: , , ,