Banoffee Pie

I was actually not intending to do this post anytime now, but then when my cousin, who happens to be carrying, saw the picture on my FB page and asked for the recipe, I couldn't say no! So here I am posting the recipe, as good as fresh!!! :)

The DDL, Instagrammed... :)
I've been wanting to make banoffee pie for quite some time but thinking about the calorie laden dessert gave me weak knees. But then, what do you do when you are faced with the below situations:

1. Dulche de leche at half the price because the expiry is less than 2 months old.
2. Whipped cream spray bottle at 25% price because the expiry date is by this weekend.
3. Biscuits lying in your pantry, not wanted by anybody because it was not the biscuits you had intended to buy!
4. Some nice ripe bananas!!!

Altogether, mera dil me chaar laddoo phoottaaaa - four laddus broke in my heart! OK, I know the English translation sucks, but those who have seen the Cadbury shots ad know what I mean. :) So then, I went ahead and just made it this weekend. The result was some ooey gooey goodness, which gave me a very heavy head and I just wanted to sleep after the dessert! It is that heavy - my advice is that this should be made only if you have guests coming around so that you can share the calories and ensure that it does not affect only you!!!!

The name is a mix of Banana + Toffee = Banoffee, so that's how it is called!

Banoffee Pie
Serves 8

Ingredients:

200 gm biscuits, powdered
100 gm butter, melted
1 bottle (450 gm) Dulche de leche
2 large bananas, thinly sliced
1 spray bottle (250 ml) whipping cream (or 2 cups whipped cream)
2 tbsp Milo/ instant coffee/ cocoa powder for dusting (I used Milo)

Method:

Mix the powdered biscuits and melted butters well and press it onto your dessert pan. Keep it in your fridge for 10 minutes to set.

Spread a thin layer of Dulce de Leche (DDL) on top of the biscuit layer till the layer is covered. I hardly had a couple of tablespoons left in the bottle. Now layer the sliced bananas on the top of the DDL till the layer is covered.

Nicely shake the whipping cream bottle and spray all over the top portion till the pie is fully covered. OR beat the whipped cream till stiff and spread it like a layer on top of the bananas. Finally put the Milo/ coffee/ cocoa into a seive and sprinkle on the top. Leave it in your refrigerator for some time to set.

Dig it in!!! Can you see the layers in the below pic? Ummm.....

Layers of ooey gooey richness!!!

Labels: , , ,